Thursday, April 13, 2006

Cuttlefish graveyard

The Cuttlefish is an amazing animal, not as famous as the antics of the Octopus or Squid but this colour changing spaceship like creature is a wonder to see. I once saw three of them lined up like strangle little aliens just floating in front of me watching me watching them. I am not sure if someone had been collecting Cuttlefish bones on the beach or some freak of nature washed them here. Hopefully this is not the result of the Cuttlefish fishermen.

As a child we had a budgerigar as a pet, cuttlefish bone was a favourite dish for it..personally I thinkI would have preferred the Cuttlefish as the pet.

If you can spare the 1 minute take a look at the European Cuttlefish video on the North Carolina State University biomovies website, you will see what I mean about colour changing spaceship.

5 comments:

Nicola said...

I've seen them before but didn't know that these come from cuttlefish. Interesting.

Dave MacIntyre said...

Interesting find. They are indeed amazing creatures.

DiaKL said...

Veru interesting indeed, I didnt know these come from cuttlefish either :)

Wolf said...

So thats what those were? We had a budgie way back... cool! Very informative post!

Anonymous said...

I have never seen so much cuttlefish in one spot! I also fed this to my birds when I was young - thanks for the information along side the image ;)